Error “The application was not installed. Your computer may be infected by viruses”
If the installation of a Kaspersky application fails with the error "The application was not installed. Your computer may be infected by viruses”, follow the recommendations below.
Step 1. Run a virus scan
Scan your computer for viruses with Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool.
Step 2. Create a restore point
If you are using Windows 10:
- Click on the Windows search icon.
- Type “create a restore point” in the search field and click Create a restore point.
- Open the System Protection tab, select the disk for which you want to create the restore point.
- Click Configure.
- Select Turn on system protection and click OK.
- Click Create.
- Enter the description for the restore point and click Create.
- Click Close.
A restore point for the local disk C in Windows 10 will be created.
If you use one of the earlier operating system versions, click the link to view the guide on the Microsoft support website:
Step 3. Make sure you have an activation code for your application
After you create a restore point, make sure you have a 20-digit activation code for your Kaspersky application. You will need to enter it after you reinstall the application.
The code contains Latin letters and numerals divided into four groups of 5 characters.
If you bought the application offline, you will see the activation code in the Quick Start Guide you find in the box.
If you bought the application online, the activation code will be in the email message from the online store.
If you lost the activation code, you can restore it. For instructions, see this this article.
Step 4. Delete the files of the earlier installed product versions
- Download kavremvr.exe.
- Run the file.
- Review the license agreement. Click I accept the terms if you agree to its terms.
- Enter the code from the picture.
- Choose the Kaspersky application you want to remove.
- Click Delete.
- Wait until the application is removed and click OK.
- Reboot the computer.
This will remove a Kaspersky application from your computer completely. If you have several Kaspersky applications installed, remove them one at a time.
Step 5. Install the Kaspersky application
Try installing the Kaspersky application once again.
If the issue persists, contact Kaspersky technical support by choosing the topic and filling out the form.