Base Filtering Engine not found
The Base Filtering Engine is a service that controls Firewall and IPSec policies by filtering user modes.
The installation of a Kaspersky application may fail if the Base Filtering Engine is missing. To install your Kaspersky application successfully, check that the Base Filtering Engine service exists in your operating system.
How to check for the Base Filtering Engine (BFE) and start it
- Press +R on the keyboard.
- Type services.msc in the Open field and click ОК.
- Find the Base Filtering Engine in the list of services.
- Make sure that the service is running. You should see the status Running in the Status column.
If this status is not displayed, right-click the Base Filtering Engine service and select Start from the shortcut menu.
What to do if you get the "Error 5 (Access denied)" when starting Base Filtering Engine
- Open the registry editor.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
- Right-click BFE and select Permissions in the context menu.
- Click Advanced.
- Click Add.
- Click Select a principal.
- Type Everyone and click OK.
- Select the Full Control check box and click ОК.
- Select the check box Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object and click OK.
- Click OK.
If the issue persists, contact Kaspersky Customer Service.
What to do if the Base Filtering Engine is not on the list of services or fails to run
Try one of the following solutions:
- Run a scan using the Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool. If Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool has detected harmful objects, select an action for detected objects. After that, try to start the Base Filtering Engine (BFE) again.
- Download the WindowsFirewall.diagcab utility and try to diagnose and fix an issue using the instructions on the Microsoft website.
If the issue persists, we recommend that you contact Microsoft technical support.