What is Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection
Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection
- Establishes a secure connection, prevents your online activity from being tracked, hides your IP address and location, and transfers your data over a secure VPN tunnel.
- Checks the status of the wireless network and prompts you to turn on secure connection if the network is not secure.
- Recommends for which websites and apps a secure connection should be used.
Applications that include Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection
Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection is automatically installed along with the following Kaspersky antivirus solutions:
- Kaspersky Security Cloud
- Kaspersky Internet Security
- Kaspersky Anti-Virus
- Kaspersky Total Security
- Kaspersky Free
In such cases, you will have a standard version of the application which has certain limitations. See Online Help for more information about the limitations.
To use the application without limitations, upgrade it to the extended version. For instructions, see Online Help.
About Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection
Secure Connection allows users to connect to the Internet safely by encrypting all data sent and received through the network. It is available as a standalone solution for Windows, Mac, and Android devices, and also as a part of Kaspersky Lab's flagship security solutions for home users, where it is automatically installed.
Technology used in the application
The solution combines Kaspersky Lab's in-house development with open-source Virtual Private Network technology. Servers encrypting and redirecting user traffic are located in different countries around the world, including the USA, Germany, Singapore and many others. They are provided by our partner, the software company Pango. By default, user traffic goes through the quickest virtual server available at the time, which could be located in another country. Premium users can choose a server in any of the supported countries.
How it works
By default, the VPN Secure Connection application (not the traffic encryption itself) is automatically launched when the OS starts. It monitors potentially risky situations where encryption could be necessary - such as when a user connects to an insecure Wi-Fi network or opens a sensitive website which requires additional protection for their private data - and, by default, offers to switch on encryption in these cases. The app then offers to turn on encryption in this case. Traffic encryption only starts with explicit user consent (for example, if they are using the Windows application, they must click “Enable protection” in the application window).
Based on the user’s decision, traffic can be constantly encrypted until the user switches it off, or there is a connectivity issue. Encryption can be turned on manually or automatically, depending upon the risk of the situation.
Free and premium versions
The free version of VPN Secure Connection is limited to 200 Mb of encrypted traffic per day (300 MB if the device is connected to My Kaspersky) for an unlimited number of devices and one automatically-chosen virtual server. The premium version provides unlimited traffic for five devices and a choice of several virtual servers, for a month or a year, depending on the subscription.
Limitations of using Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection
- Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection cannot be installed in Belarus, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and China due to legal limitations on the use of Virtual Private Network (VPN).
- If you have Kaspersky VPN Secure Connection installed along with Kaspersky Internet Security, Kaspersky Total Security or Kaspersky Security Cloud, protection of Wi-Fi networks will not be available in the antivirus application.
- The volume of used secure traffic displayed in the application may differ from the amount of secure traffic actually used. This may be the case when you use a high-bandwidth connection.
- When the application changes the virtual server country, the secure connection may be briefly interrupted. Any data transmitted will not be protected until the secure connection has been reestablished.
- After purchasing a subscription, there may be a delay of several minutes before the application switches to the extended version.
- If your Mac changes the network when connecting to the Internet, the secure connection may be briefly interrupted. Any data transmitted will not be protected until the secure connection has been reestablished.
- Changing the virtual server country when visiting the websites of banks or payment systems, booking websites, social networks, chats, and email websites could possibly trigger anti-fraud systems (systems intended for analyzing online financial transactions for signs of fraudulent operations).